After my last doctor’s appointment, I started doing TONS of research (and unpacking knowledge that was in the back of my head.) I wanted to make sure that I was taking all of the natural supplement to support myself! Especially after deciding not to take the Metformin, I knew I wanted to add in the natural alternative. I want to share my current routine of supplements and vitamins with you all!
I’m going to link each thing to more research & links to purchase so that you can see what fits for you! Reminder, this is not medical information, treatment or advice. I am simply sharing what works for me. Please consult your doctor / medical professional before beginning any supplement or medication.
- My Prenatal Vitamin– We all know how important it is to take a prenatal. From the moment that we all start on this journey, we start taking this. I’ve been taking a prenatal by Garden of Life since 2016. I’m not great with swallowing pills, so I grab the prenatal daily so that I only have to take one pill vs the multi. Recently, I tried out the gummies they came out with. I love them! They taste great to me. However, you do have to take FOUR gummies as a serving. Regardless of which form you choose, I like Garden of Life because they are a whole-foods, vegan, gluten free option. No synthetic vitamins, artificial colors, sugar, etc. The gummies do not contain pig gelatin. This brand contains FOLATE vs folic acid.. which is another plus.
Side-note: I didn’t know until I started researching that all vitamins were not created equally. You have to read the label! Some vitamins are natural, and some are synthetic. Synthetic vitamins are manufactured to “act” like a natural one that comes from foods. Synthetic vitamins aren’t recognized by our bodies in the same way that natural ones are.
- Vitamin B12– Vitamin B12 isn’t produced by plants, which puts me at risk (to be at zero lol) being that I eat a plant-based diet. I normally add some nutritional yeast to my meals throughout the weeks, or a little blackstrap molasses…but I wanted to be sure that I am actually getting the recommend amount. Plus, vitamin B12 when pregnant is important in preventing neural tube and neurological defects. I really want to be sure that my body and womb are as healthy as possible! I’m seriously trying. Just remember that b12 should be in a spray, sublingual or liquid form! I like this one because you get 140+ sprays for like $12.
- Vitamin D3– I decided to go ahead and get in the habit of taking Vitamin D even before our BFP because I know I will need it once I’m pregnant. Plus, as a society- most of us are Vitamin D deficient. We spend WAY too much time inside. Honestly. Plus, My skin is on the darker side.. I need a supplement. LOL! Even though there is Vitamin D in my prenatal, adding an additional supplement may help to prevent premature labor, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes and help baby’s bone-mass later in life. I will tell you that this supplement tastes horrible! But, you get over a three month’s supply for under $20 so you can’t beat it!
- Vitex– This is something that I’ve been taking since 2016 as well. Vitex is really common among the fertility/ttc community. It’s a herb, (so no crazy side effects) but it kinda works like a birth control pill. (Without the added hormones.) From increasing LH, lengthening your luteal phase, increasing progesterone, relieving PMS, reducing uterine cysts, and so much more… Vitex is truly an amazing herb for ALL women. In my personal experience, Vitex helped my cycles begin to come more regular. Before, I was having extended periods of bleeding maybe 2-3 times a year. Currently, my cycles are 44 days apart, and bleeding lasts between 4-7 days. Which is INSANE for me! I increased my dosage of vitex to twice a day to see how that helps.
- Tumeric– ANTI-INFLAMMATORY! I started taking a capsule of turmeric a day in 2016. I found this after I had a HORRIBLE endometriosis flare-up. It was bad. I actually was looking for things to relieve pain & I happened to stumble across turmeric. While you can cook with turmeric, or take the freshen. I’ve been taking a capsule a day and it’s done well for me. I haven’t had any pain nearly as bad and my cycles are completely clot free. I truly believe that taking turmeric everyday has helped reverse endometriosis.
- EPO– (Evening Primrose Oil) The benefit of taking EPO are reducing PMS symptoms and inflammation, increasing cervical mucous and improving uterine health. EPO is also rich in omega-6 essential fatty acids (which is important as a vegan) LA and GLA. Omega 6 fats “improve the reproductive cell structure, decrease risk of inflammation and improve the condition of organs in the body.” I only take this during the first “half” of my cycle. NEVER after ovulation has occurred, because it can cause uterine contractions.
- Omega 3– Because I don’t consume fish, and I probably don’t eat enough flax seeds.. I decided to go ahead and start taking an Omega 3 supplement. “Omega-3 acids help fertility by regulating hormones in the body, increase cervical mucous, promote ovulation and overall improve the quality of the uterus by increasing the blood flow to the reproductive organs.”
- DIM– Can you say total body detox in a pill? Plus a way to fight off the extra estrogen that PCOS can bring. DIM (Diindolyl-Methane) comes from cruciferous vegetables and decreases estrogen dominance.
- Ovasitol– This is the supplement that I found to replace Metformin. I probably should’ve been taking this my entire life! LOL! This helps to increase insulin sensitivity (fighting the insulin resistance that PCOS can bring!) While improving egg quality and regulating hormones. Like I said, I should’ve been taking this! Even if you aren’t TTC, this still helps to lower your risk of developing diabetes from PCOS!
- Progessence Plus– Progessence™ Plus serum is a pure, harmonizing essential oil blend that was created to support women’s hormones. It actually contains natural progesterone from wild yam! I read soooo many amazing stories about this balancing oil. I normally apply to the back of my neck and wrists in the morning when I take all of my other supplements.
I’m sure that you’ve noticed that mostly everything I’m taking seems to be addressing my hormones. That’s because the symptoms of endo have disappeared after adjusting my diet to vegan + mostly gluten free, cutting out white + refined products, and cutting out traditional pads and tampons. Most of my current fight is getting my body all in balance! Which, I totally feel like I’m winning. LOL! Seriously, I prayed about what to do and the Holy Spirit led me to these supplements. Of course, I’m still eating a clean, whole-foods, plant-based diet. As well as exercising and using only clean-toxin free products. We’ve replaced so many products with homemade or natural products. Joining Young Living has really helped to get me going with essential oils too! I’m seriously just being obedient to whatever God tells me to do regarding my health & believing that I am healed. (Mark 5:34)
The one thing that is obviously missing from my routine is a good ole probiotic! I normally drink at least 4oz of raw kombucha a day to get in all the goodness for my gut health. The problem is: I haven’t found a clear answer on if you can safely drink kombucha in early pregnancy, because it does contain naturally occurring alcohol. With us actively working on conceiving, I don’t want to take any chances. (Yes, I’m THAT person.) What I’ve been doing is drinking it all month except during the TWW.. but I’m starting to feel that it will be easier just to take a pill. What do ya’ll think? Let me know! Help me out! I don’t plan on taking all of these supplements forever, just until my body is able to function in balance. I know it seems like a lot, and it may be.. but this is what our journey looks like right now.
P.S x2- I created a FREE Facebook group just for women that are on a journey to cleaner living! Feel free to join this community of support and knowledge! Everyone is invited: singles, wives, mamas and everyone in-between! Just click here to JOIN!
P.S x3- Links are affiliate links to Thrive Market (which I love and shop at all the time!) I received NOTHING for free or to make this post. As an affiliate, this means that if you click and shop, I earn a small amount which helps us financially every month! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for supporting my partnership with Thrive!